Bears Arrange Interviews with John DeFilippo, Josh McDaniels, Pat Shurmur, Matt Nagy & More for Head Coach (Updated)
This post will be continually updated.
The search is on for the 16th head coach in Chicago Bears history. And the Bears have wasted no time in beginning the interviewing process.
Following Ryan Pace’s press conference on Monday, we know a couple of things: 1) Pace will lead the charge for the new coach; 2) Mitchell Trubisky will be kept in mind when selecting the new coach.
There have already been reports from national media regarding interview requests on behalf of the Bears. Chicago has arranged several interviews, including with Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, and Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.
Considering four of those five candidates have an offensive background, it only solidifies the belief that Pace will target an offensive mind to help develop Trubisky.
With the Eagles, Patriots, and Vikings all on first round byes, the Bears will have to interview DeFilippo, McDaniels, and Shurmur before the end of this weekend. If not, they’d have to wait until the respective teams have been eliminated from the playoffs. Nagy, however, will have to wait until after the Chiefs game against the Titans on Saturday.
Here’s an updated look at the interviews the Bears have completed:
- Bears interviewed their own DC Vic Fangio on Wednesday in Chicago.
Here’s an updated look at the interviews the Bears have scheduled:
- Bears will interview Patriots OC Josh McDaniels on Friday in New England.
- Bears will interview Vikings OC Pat Shurmur on Friday in Minnesota.
- Bears will interview Eagles QBC John DeFilippo on Saturday in Philadelphia
- Bears will interview Chiefs OC Matt Nagy (TBD).
- Bears will interview Vikings DC George Edwards (TBD, but possible Friday).
- Bears will interview Panthers DC Steve Wilks (TBD).